Friday, February 14, 2014

Field Mom "Farmer's Daughter"

There are several reasons why I wanted to be a part of the field mom program.

For one, I have a connection to farming. I am a "farmer's daughter!" My parents are third generation grape growers in the Lake Erie Grape Belt of New York and that life is close to my heart. Living in Chicago, I am physically separated from that. This opportunity will give me some time to be around other people who have a connection to their land and a passion for growing our nation's food. I'm also looking forward to learning about the differences between a small 40-acre grape farm and a 400-acre Mid-West crop farm. The average family farm in Illinois is right around 400 acres.

Second, I love to eat fresh food. I love to cook, bake, and preserve. I have a passion for gardening and appreciate the flavor of fresh picked fruits and vegetables. Growing up, we had pear trees and apple trees in our yard. We made McIntosh cider every autumn. Each year my mom had a tremendous vegetable garden. I remember it was lush and productive, watered, sometimes nightly in the heat and humidity of July, with water pumped from our pond. We ate fresh picked corn, carrots, green peppers, string beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, and more! By the end of summer, our freezer and pantry were full of frozen and canned foods and we still had plenty of fresh to share with neighbors and family. I started loving food as a child. From the time I was small, I've thought my mom is a great cook. Growing up, we rarely went out to eat. My mom makes good comfort food and enjoys being in her kitchen. Some of my most vivid memories of family gatherings have food at the center of them. I remember my grand-mother's chuck roast for birthday celebrations - it was one of my favorite meals - and guess what, chuck roast happens to be my family's favorite meal today!

Third, I have been in food conversations with other moms on the playground about food labeling, which I hope to explore further, but currently know very little about. Labels such as, non-GMO, organic, natural, hormone-free, free-range, grass-fed - what do they mean exactly, why do they sometimes cost more, and are they really healthier for my family as the marketing would suggest? These are all questions I hope to answer.

I also love learning. I'm looking forward to stretching my brain to learn much more about food and farming this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment