Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Message to Food Marketers: Roll with QR Food Labeling!

I admit, I might be the last person on Earth to have what I call a “dumb” phone, but that is soon to change. I am feeling a need to finally join ranks and carry a more "intelligent" gadget in my purse. And once I get it, I will be able to join everyone else in the quest for (on the spot) Too Much Information (TMI)!

Before attending the “Food Dialogues: Chicago” this morning, I had no idea that some bananas have a QR product code on them that if you scan it, you will be (virtually) transported to the village in South America to learn all about the people and environment where the banana you are about to eat was produced. Now, that is really impressive; and potentially really useful, too.

And so I ask, why can’t we do that with other foods? If consumers want to know about ingredients, whether they were genetically engineered, or specifically what type of wheat was used, why not start using QR codes as a way to convey Too Much Information! Why are we arguing over labeling when this seems like such an easy solution?

Personally, I want food labels that tell me what I need to know for nutritional value. Just give me health and safety information. I could do without the extra marketing junk on the front; I’m skeptical of it, anyway. Not everyone wants TMI.

If you want to know whether the Mexican or Brazilian papaya you've picked up in the produce aisle was genetically engineered to resist disease, like the Hawaiian papayas, then scan that code on your papaya on the spot and find out! Personally, it doesn't matter to me – I will buy it either way because I trust one is just as safe as the other. But, if you want to know, you should be able to find out. This seems like a really easy solution.

If you put an emotional value on a specific cause, like organic farming methods, and want to pay more for that food in support of it, and you want to know that you are paying more for methods not buzzwords, then you should be able to scan a code that gives you TMI about how that specific food was produced. You could find out if it is in line with your personal food policy and make your choice.

Food marketers, I think you’re onto something here. My vote is roll with it! Let technology put democracy and choice back into consumers’ hands without necessarily increasing the cost of cheap food for the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment