Thursday, October 30, 2014

Chicago City Moms: Sign-Up is Now!


Friends,

If you are curious about mid-west farming, grew up in the city and know nothing about farming, wonder how those pork chops at the super-market got there and how the animals were raised, have always wanted to meet and talk to a real farmer, have read articles that have caused you to question how “we” got here with our food, or wonder if the food you are buying at the super-market is safe, you should consider applying to be an Illinois Farm Families 2015 City Mom. The deadline for applications is November 15, so don’t delay! Go to the link www.watchusgrow.org to fill out an online application.

I recently participated in my last farm tour as a City Mom in the 2014 Illinois Farm Families program. I was excited for the beef cattle tour, but I was also sad that our year of farm tours was coming to an end. I have enjoyed getting together with the other moms and spending a handful of Saturdays with them throughout the year. We shared the experiences and loved talking about it with each other. As we were leaving the farm, I was also sad that we wouldn’t be seeing our new farm friends for a while, a few of whom I’ve come to know through social media over the past few months.

What an experience. I wish it could continue.

For the next group of 24 city moms, the program will continue on and, hopefully, our farm friends will organize an alumnae tour for us. We will look forward to that!

We were together six times; five of which were all-day Saturday tours. Of the five tours, four were farm tours, but the first was a tour of a grocery store that included an informative morning session with a registered dietitian who talked to us about food labeling and marketing. It was a great way to kick-off our education.

Each time we were together, we met and talked to a handful of women in agriculture. Some were city slickers who turned into farm ladies through marriage; others grew up farm girls and continue to be farm women. I would say that most work off the farm (as well as on the farm) to supplement the family’s farm income, some work with their husbands on the farm (and are raising their family), and a few are actually the farmer leading the business. No matter where they grew up, how they got to the farm, or how they live now with their farm, they all have really interesting stories and are so inspiring!

I’ve learned more about food and agriculture in the past year than I expected. I didn’t even know how much I didn’t know; and I grew up in agriculture! When we use the word “agriculture,” we tend to generalize and lump a lot of different things together. But, no two crops are the same, every area of our country is good for different crops or animals, and each type of animal has different needs. Geography matters. Weather and climate matter. Soil matters. Economics matter. Transportation matters. Not only are there differences, but all these things have relationships to each other and everything is connected. Agriculture is big. It’s really big. And it matters a lot to each of us, whether we’re paying attention or not. I’ve come out of this experience with my own personal pledge to myself to keep paying attention. It is a new awareness I’m glad to have.

I am recommending this program to any city mom with an interest in learning where our food comes from and how our Illinois farmers fit into the global food puzzle. You will hear and see for yourself, how and why. You will ask questions and the farmers will give you explanations. And then, you will probably ask more questions. And they’ll keep talking with you.

I am encouraging my friends to sign-up for the next crop of city moms. It’s meaningful. It’s timely. It’s our food. It’s important. It’s an amazing opportunity and education. You will be glad that you did.

Go to www.watchusgrow.org to learn more and apply. If you want to read about my experiences as a Field Mom, follow the link to my journal at hmcgfieldmom.blogspot.com.

Thank you to all of the farm families in Illinois who support the program and make it such a huge success. Thank you to all the women behind the scenes who make it happen.

Sincerely,
Heather Guido





No comments:

Post a Comment